Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dorijo, East Melbourne

Dorijo, East Melbourne

The entrance to Dorijo, a block of flats in Victoria Parade in East Melbourne, only hints at what a spectacular Art Deco building it is.

It was designed by I G Anderson in 1934 the similarities to his, now doomed to demolition, Lonsdale House are most obvious in the tower.

Dorijo, East Melbourne

A minor design aspect that attracts my eye is the reduction in the size of the three balconies as they progress up the facade. Each succeeding level is slightly smaller that the preceeding one.

Dorijo, East Melbourne

Dorijo, East Melbourne

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. A very hard building to capture, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went past this a day ago and they have chopped down the big tree, you can get a much better view of it though the yard looks a little sparse now. I am hoping they might re-paint it soon, it is a wonderful block of flats, especilly the tower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorijo IS lovely, David. I think it is more attractive than Lonsdale House, even though it is difficult to compare residential with commercial buildings.

    I go down Victoria Parade often. I must get out of the car and have a proper look.

    Happy new year to you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting Sean, Katya & Helen and especially to Katya for letting me know about the tree, I'll have to go and have a look.

    Best wishes for a prosperous 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this, what a stunning building and I can really see I.G Anderson style here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Thomas. I thought it was a lovely Australian building to finish the year on.

    ReplyDelete