Saturday, February 22, 2014
R A Baillie carved the final sculptures which included symbolic elements representing Baltimore, Maryland, the army and the navy. The right hand sculpture has an eagle and the Baltimore city seal between the front legs of the sea horse representing the army. The other horse, pictured above, includes an osprey and the state seal of Maryland to represent the navy.
The sea horses were completed in time for the dedication of the War Memorial Plaza on November 11, 1927.
Kelly, C. and Remsberg, E. H. 2011. Outdoor sculpture in Baltimore. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. pp 95-96.