Monday, December 15, 2008

The Show Goes On

Manchester Unity, Melbourne

The NGV Melbourne Winter Masterpieces Exhibition: Art Deco 1910 - 1939 may have finished but the audio guides have just been posted on the NGV website (www.ngv.vic.gov.au).

If you scroll right down to the bottom of the list of Art Deco podcasts, you'll find a section on Australian Architecture and they used my picture of the Manchester Unity building on the corner of Swanston and Collins Sts to illustrate this section.

The show goes on ...

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations and thanks for the heads up on the NGV audio guides! I only made it to the exhibition on the last day and it was very crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love deco architecture, but I wonder why you included the Manchester Unity Building in the deco blog. And I wonder why the Manchester Unity architects chose high gothic in a commerical building.

    Helen Webberley
    http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jo. I was in and around the exhibition that last weekend and it was manic. I glad to hear you did get to see it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen,
    I subscribe to a very broad definition of deco and that includes the Manchester Unity building which is very similar to the Raymond Hood's Chicago Tribune building. Certainly the interior has lots of deco features in the plasterwork and it is interesting to compare the Manchester Unity building to Century House also by Marcus Barlow at the other end of the block.

    ReplyDelete