Friday, June 26, 2009

Our Lady of Good Counsel, Deepdene

Our Lady of Good Counsel

I saw a lot of churches on my recent trip to Montreal which no doubt will make an appearance here at some time in the future but today I thought I'd stay closer to home.

This is Our Lady of Good Counsel in the Melbourne suburb of Deepdene.

According to Robin Grow in his book Melbourne Art Deco, it was designed by Lionel San Miguel and constructed after WWII.

I like the way that simple decoration has been incorporated using partially projected or recessed bricks and the contrast between the cream bricks and the white of the cross and the decoration on the roofline.

8 comments:

  1. I think it is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lionel San Miguel was my great uncle. He was one of six who were the sons and daughters of my great grandfather, Cipriano San Miguel, who came from Alella, near Barcelona. My grandfather was Jaime. Lionel did a lot of work and growing up as a boy in Melb I was taken regularly to Deepdene Church and other places including (I think) the Redemptorist Monastery in Kew. I have a strong interest in architecture myself and without realising any link with your site we have just completed a modernist pavilion renovation here in Sydney. There was an exhibition of Lionel's work in Melbourne some time back. Cheers Greg San Miguel (gsm@lotj.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg

      We visited the church today. We also visited Bowley Avenue, and spoke to the owner. We noticed an inscription at Our Lady, saying Lionel was the architect- took some pix for you- Jo

      Delete
    2. Hi

      I have in my possesion several work of you uncle Lionel d san miguel

      I dont know if they have historical value or value at all

      Just putting it out there uf someone can pointvme in the right direction to getting them valued

      Pete
      Nsa2611@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Thanks Greg,

    Have you got a link with pictures of the modernist pavilion in Sydney, I'd like to take a look at it.

    Cheers, David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big T and i are part of its parish we are parishoners it is lovely and very jesus like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I and another boy were the first alter boys
    at the first mass at this church. I can remember
    it well. During construction I had no fear
    in climbing to the top when the workmen were not there. I'm 68 now and living in Kansas. I was a
    sort of "bad boy"

    Brian Kelly briank3050@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete