Hindmarsh Town Hall has a long history of rebuilding, renewal and adaptation.
The first district hall was built in 1860. A new hall was designed by Thomas Frost and added behind the original in 1880. Then in 1936 the stone portico was removed and the building refaced in Art Deco style to the design of Christopher Smith. Smith designed several Adelaide cinemas and at this time a cinema was also included as part of the town hall.
Following the amalgamation of the Hindmarsh and Woodville Councils in the 1990s it became the Education Development Centre under the South Australian Department of Education and Children's Services.
This photo shows the Milner Street entrance.
Hindmarsh Town Hall Theatre/Hall, University of South Australia, Architects of South Australia database
The heart of Hindmarsh, by Lia Harris, Weekly Times Messenger, 20 Oct 2010
Homeless @ Hosier Lane
4 hours ago