Cahors is a large block of flats in Macleay St, Potts Point, at the top end in Sydney's King's Cross area.
It was built in 1940 and designed by architects Joseland and Gilling. The State Library of NSW has a series of b+w photos taken around the time construction was completed.
Most of the building is free of decoration but at the top few floors there are panels bearing geometric Art Deco patterns. The tops of the three main brick columns on the building are capped with rounded structures, stepped back towards the flat face of the facade.
At ground level the entrance to the flats and the fronts of the two small shops have been finished with light blue tiles. They curve into the three doors along the street, the flats and the two shops, and extend above the canopy of the porch covering the central part of the first storey.
The windows above the entrance to the flats and on the central windows on the first floor above that contain amber glass and the decoration is completed with the name 'CAHORS' spelt out in large gold letters.
Art Deco Sociey of New South Wales
State Library of New South Wales
2 hours ago