Saturday, September 10, 2011

former Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

This is the former Bank of Montreal building across the road from the Parliament buildings in Ottawa. It was built in 1930 to designs by architect Ernest I Barott. While the overall structure is quite classical the building is ringed by a series of wonderful deco friezes.

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Bank of Montreal, Ottawa

Reference:
Ottawa Tour Guide Book, Montreal World Congress on Art Deco

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little building! I realise it is a bank, but it has the classical seriousness of a war memorial. I suppose they were trying to say that we are serious and very safe bankers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they could also be making a statement, opposite the national parliament and outside of their home territory in Quebec.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know what the typeface is on the upper portion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I don't but maybe someone out there recognises it.

      Delete