Friday, October 7, 2011

Windows, Footscray Town Hall

Early this year I wrote about the former City of Footscray Town Hall designed by architect Joseph Plottel and opened in 1936. I'd never been inside and I got the chance to have a quick look the other day. Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the grander rooms and I imagine there are some in this fine building. No I got to duck up some side stairs to have a look at an exhibition. On the way I snapped these leadlight windows.

Window, Footscray Town Hall

Window, Footscray Town Hall

4 comments:

  1. You had initially written that while you could appreciate it as a fine building, you didn't especially like the ornate decoration of the City of Footscray Town Hall exterior. Perhaps the interior decorative decisions were made by a separate committee because the stained glass windows are quire stark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Helen I do prefer the more simple designs of the windows to the more ornate decoration on the exterior. However, the windows still look a bit old-fashioned to me for mid-1930s and I like them but I wouldn't say I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work of a skillful craftsman. Beautifully designed window glass.

    ReplyDelete