Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sirona House, Nairobi


Sirona House, NairobiI didn't get the chance to see a lot of Art Deco in the short time I was in Nairobi but I did manage to snap this from the mini-bus as it whisked me through the mental traffic.

I can see it is called Sirona House and I know nothing else about it. I don't even know what street it is in but I felt like going a bit exotic for this blog and this is what I found. I love the seriousness of the stonework with the named etched above the door against the shocking blue colour and the simple white 'eyebrows' above the windows.

I am intrigued by the black wires snaking up from the stone urns on each side of the window. I assume they are cabling for lights, perhaps even neon but they look almost perfectly symetrical. If is as if that was taken into account to help preserve the beauty of the buildings facade.

2 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous color blue...how romantic to see this image amid the streets of nairobi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been interesting to spend more time there to see how long it would take to get used to being there without feeling like a complete alien.

    I sure it has a lot more treasures hidden away.

    ReplyDelete