Art Deco and Modernism Society. The walk was part of the City of Port Phillip Walk and Talk program for 2009.
Perhaps one of the surprising stops on the walk was the Port Melbourne Bowling Club.
Although the club was established in the 1880s, it is clear from the photo above that the clubhouse was rebuilt in the 1930s.
The columns either side of the doorway use thin bricks to create a visual marker to the entrance as a contrast against the standard sized bricks and rendered walls of the rest of the building.
These same bricks are also arranged above the doorway to create a simple art deco pattern.
The effect is topped off with metal lettering spelling out Port Melbourne Bowling Club in a suitable font and in the red and blue colours of Port sporting teams.
We just have to try to ignore the unfortunate placement of the air-conditioning unit.
goshyesvintageads: The Larsen Co, 1949
2 hours ago