Friday, October 30, 2009

Co-Op Building, Woolwich

Co-Op, Woolwich

This is the former Co-Op department store in Woolwich. I took these photos in 2003 so I can only imagine that the building has deteriorated further since then.

I see on the We Love Woolwich that the building is earmarked for demolition by Greenwich Council to make way for the Woolwich Triangle re-development.

I hate to see a building like this demolished when it could become a landmark feature of the redevelopment and provide a tanigible link to the past use of the site.

Please sign the online petition to Save the Woolwich Co-Op building and hopefully we will see this beautiful building occupied and operational again.

Co-Op, Woolwich

Co-Op, Woolwich

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Memories of my youth, taking the bus to Woolwich with friends, and shopping at the Co-op, then heading upstairs to the lovely cafeteria for tea. It seemed like such a huge department store that sold everything!

    So sad to see it looking like this! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every city had one of those department stores with a cafeteria and I don't think too many have survived.

      Delete