Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Unity Temple, Oak Park

Unity Temple, Oak Park

A recent post at the designslinger blog alerted me to the fact that Unity Temple in Oak Park turned 100 years old in September.

Unity Temple, Oak ParkIt givs me an excuse to dust off my old photos of Unity Temple (from 2001) and show them here.

I am pleased to see that there is a certain overlap between the photos at designslinger and the ones I shot however I am sorry I missed the angle that opens their blog post. For me it sums one of the best aspects of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, the interplay and levels of the various rooflines he works into his designs. Pop over and have a look at their photo, it is a beauty.

Now back to my photos.

Unity Temple, Oak Park

These exterior shots show how Wright was using concrete to incorporate decoration onto his buildings. This arrangement reminds me a lot of Hollyhock House in Los Angeles which Wright designed for Aline Barnsdale in 1921.

Unity Temple, Oak ParkThe photos also show one of the main problems with early concrete buildings with damage clearly visible in each of the two main pictures. The Unity Temple Restoration Fund are working to maintain and restore the building.

The interior of Unity Temple is one of those views in modern architecture which everyone should see. So detailed and warm compared to the exterior. Yet the decoration is still made up of very simple geometric shapes.

Of course, being a FLLW building, there is lots of stained glass windows as well.

Unity Temple, Oak Park

Unity Temple, Oak Park

No comments:

Post a Comment