Wednesday, September 22, 2010

California Theatre, Berkeley

California Theatre, Berkeley

The California Theatre in Berkeley, California or The Cal, as it is known locally, was built in 1920 as a T&D Theatre offering live shows and films. It was originally designed by Albert W Cornelius but was renovated in the 1930s taking on the California name.

California Theatre, Berkeley

The roofline is slightly stepped and with each step the front wall also steps out.

California Theatre, Berkeley

The main decoration consists of a series of six Art Deco panels.

California Theatre, BerkeleyThe people working in the ticket booth and concession stand welcomed me to the theatre and were pleased that I was taking an interest in it. There was a session on so they couldn't let me take photos in the main cinema but they encouraged me to have a look at the upstairs lobby.

I like the unusual shape of the openings at the top of the stairs and the detail of the metal work in the ballustrade.

Reference:
California Theatre, cinematreasures.org

2 comments:

  1. As the theatre was renovated in the 1930s, the decorative elements look just right.

    Were the pastel colours contemporary with the renovations, do you know? I ask because Miami is awash with pastel Deco buildings, but I haven't seen much pastel elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I don't know Helen. I suspect that the pastel colours are a Miami thing and has been adapted as Deco elsewhere in more recent times.

    ReplyDelete