Planned during the 1930s, the Municipality Building in Liberation Avenue, Asmara was built in the 1950s with the third storey being added in 1971.
The dominant feature of the building is the clock tower above the entrance faced with a crazy crackle mosaic pattern of green tiles (see close up view below). The tower protrudes from the main bulk of the central section of the building which is slightly taller and set back from the main face. The clock tower and central sections were heightened when the third storey was added to maintain the overall balance.
The symetrical wings consist of five windows for each floor with the ground storey windows half the height of the upper floors. The Municipality is set back from the street with a small wall and hedge surrounding a simple garden. The gateway marked with four pillars each topped with a spherical lamp.
The Municipality Building is a majestic landmark in central Asmara.
Asmara: Africa's Secret Modernist City~ Edward Denison, Guang Yu Ren & Naigzy Gebremedhim
sovietpostcards: Artist T. Khvostenko, 1959
4 hours ago