Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Melbourne Art Deco by Robin Grow


I had a very exciting day today. Robin Grow, President of the Art Deco and Modernist Society dropped by with a copy of his book Melbourne Art Deco. It is so hot off the presses that he has only received a few copies so far.

Of course my interest are the photos. Robin used a lot of my photos in the book and we had a lot of fun reviewing images I already had and going around and taking new ones to fit in with the text. I am very pleased with the end result.

The book is 140 pages, soft cover with lots and lots of colour photos. Ten chapters cover topics should as Place of Business, Places to Relax, Places to Live In, Places to Shop, Melbourne on the Move and The Devil is in the Details.

I think my favourite picture is the etched-glass shark from Dalcrombie in the Dandenongs.

Etched Glass Shark, Dandenongs

Robin will get the main shipment of books in the next month or so and then the hard job of flogging them will start.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I'm sure it is a very interesting book.

    The window seems to be in exceptional condition. What a funny idea to put it there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adam.

    I agree it is funny to see the shark in the hills rather by the sea but it is still fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, David! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan. I'm very excited, telling anyone who will listen that my book has been published. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations!!! how very exciting!! yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations David, I am so happy for you.
    You deserve it. The fish in the Dandenongs - what a great concept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I get a copy ? I can't wait. The front cover picture is of the iconic tower of Lonsdale House, one of my favourites. This building is sadly under application for complete demolition. So it is very timely of Robin and his work to save this building has been outstanding. But more people need to get behind this appeal as it would be a very sad loss for Melbourne if it was lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I echo your comments Sean. Robin has and continues to do a great job promoting and preserving Art Deco and Modernist buildings in Melbourne, Victoria and Australia as a whole.

    ReplyDelete