Concourse Building is a grey as many other buildings in Toronto's financial district. The decoration on the 16th floor, however, and around the arched entrance at street level make it one of the more colourful Art Deco buildings in Ontario's capital.
Designed by architectural firm, Baldwin & Greene, the building was completed in 1928. The mosiacs around the entrance were completed by Group of Seven artist J E H MacDonald and his son Thoreau.
The mosiacs around the under-side of the arch portray themes of transport, industry and nature. The rectangular panel above the door also bears thems of flora and fauna plus the sun, stars and a rainbow. In the bottom left corner the artists initials and the year 'J.E.H.M '28'.
According to Tim Morawetz in his recently published Art Deco Architecture in Toronto the future of this skyscraper is in doubt due to a May 2000 vote by the Toronto City Council gave a developer the right to demolish all but the bottom three storeys.
Hopefully in the past 9 years opinions have changed and the Concourse Building will live on for many more years with its distinctive, colourful roofline.