Mitchell House is a landmark Art Deco building at the intersection of Elizabeth and Lonsdale Sts in the Melbourne CBD.
The building was constructed in 1936 and the design of Harry Norris has produced asymetrical building which is 'squared off' at the extremities of its 'L' shape yet it curves around the corner site.
It features strong horizontal lines in the horizontal spandrels and bands of windows punctuated with main tower on the Elizabeth St facade topped with the name 'Mitchell House' in gold lettering and a lesser tower marking the entrance to the lift lobby on Lonsdale St.
The ground floor consists of shops including this sandwich bar which could have been here forever.
Note that the name of the building is spelt out in deep relief lettering above The Little Tuckerbox takeaway and an 'MH' monogram is incorporated into terazzo flooring of the entrance.
danismm: 1955 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe...
2 hours ago